Having a sparkling clear view of the world is nice to have, but when you’re an eyeglass wearer, keeping your vision crystal clear isn’t always easy.
By using the proper equipment, taking preventative measures, choosing the best eyeglass cleaning solution, fixing repairs, and caring for your frames, you can keep your glasses clean and help preserve their lifespan.
To make sure that you take care of your lenses correctly without risking scratches or damage to your frames, here are some top tips from optometrists on how best to clean your glasses.
Steps to Clean Your Glasses
What to Use to Clean Glasses
Keeping your glasses clean is an important part of maintaining clear vision. However, with so many products on the market, it can be overwhelming to figure out what to use.
The key is to gather up a few supplies that are specifically designed for cleaning glasses, such as a lens cleaner, cloth, and cotton swabs.
A good lens cleaner will help remove smudges and fingerprints, while a soft cloth can help prevent scratches on the lenses. Cotton swabs can also be helpful in reaching small crevices or corners. By having these few items on hand, you can ensure that your glasses are always clean and clear, allowing you to see the world in all its glory.
How to Clean Glasses
- Rinse your glasses under warm water to remove any loose debris.
- Apply a small amount of lens cleaner solution to the lenses and use a microfiber cloth to gently wipe away any smudges or dirt.
- Spray glasses cleaning solution onto the cloth, rather than directly onto your glasses, to prevent any cleaner from getting into the crevices of the frames.
- Gently wipe the lenses in a circular motion, avoiding pressing too hard or scratching the surface.
- Remember to avoid using paper products or your shirt to clean your glasses, as they can scratch the lenses.
With these simple steps, you can keep your glasses looking clean and clear!
Cleaning Solutions for Glasses
Using the wrong cleaning solution can damage the lenses, leaving you with blurry or distorted vision. When it comes to finding the best cleaning solution for glasses, there are a few factors to consider.
- Look for a solution that is specifically designed for glasses. Look for a pH-neutral or mild soap-based solution.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals like alcohol or ammonia, as they can strip off any anti-reflective coating on the lenses. Alcohol-based solutions are effective at cutting through dirt and grime but can also be harsh on certain types of lenses. Natural alternatives like vinegar and water may work but may not be as effective on stubborn stains.
- Consider your lifestyle and environment. If you spend a lot of time outdoors, choose a cleaning solution that offers UV protection to keep your lenses from getting damaged by the sun.
Caring for Glasses Frames
To keep your frames clean, it’s essential to take good care of them. Here are some tips to care for your frames:
- Use a microfiber cloth to wipe away any smudges or fingerprints on your frames. Avoid using rough materials, like your shirt, paper towels, or other abrasive materials that can scratch your lenses.
- Store your glasses in a case when you aren’t wearing them to prevent accidental damage.
- Never place your frames on the table or other surfaces with the lenses facing down, as this can cause scratches.
Repair Issues for Glasses
Your glasses are an essential part of your daily life, and damage or wear and tear can be an inconvenience. If you find yourself in this situation, there are a few steps you can take to get your glasses repaired.
The first step is to assess the damage. Is it a simple scratch on the lens or a more severe break in the frame? Depending on the issue, you may be able to fix them yourself with a little know-how.
If you are unsure, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and take your glasses to a professional who can assess the damage and give you repair options. Many optometrists or eyewear shops offer repair services, and they have the expertise to make sure your glasses are fixed correctly.
Preventative Care for Glasses
We all know the feeling of wiping our glasses only to find them clouded again within minutes. The key is to prevent dirt and dust from accumulating on your lenses in the first place—avoid leaving glasses lying around on surfaces or exposed to the elements.
One of the best strategies for preventing dirt and dust from accumulating on your lenses is to keep them covered when not in use. Whether it’s a case, pouch, or cloth, having something to protect your lenses can make a big difference.
By following these simple tips, you can help keep your lenses clean and protect them from scratches, prolonging their lifespan.
Explore Glasses Options in Maple Ridge
If you are looking for a new pair of glasses, come visit us at Maple Ridge Eye Care. We offer a wide range of frame styles and lens options for every lifestyle. We can also help provide tips and tricks for keeping your glasses clean so you can enjoy clear, comfortable vision. Book your next appointment online with our friendly team today.